Are you looking for a shopping cart to run your online business? Have you heard of Shopify but don’t know if it’s right for you?
Shopify is an online shopping cart provider – you can use Shopify to make your website and your online store.
How does it work?
You sign up with Shopify, and you pay a monthly fee depending on how many products you have.
When you sign up, you get an area where you can login, and from that area you can add all of your products, manage all of your orders, change the look of the store, and basically do anything to do with managing an online store.
Shopify is a hosted solution, so you don’t need to setup website hosting separately. Even though it is a hosted solution, you still use your own domain name, so if you don’t have one, you’ll need to get one. How it works is that you register your domain, and then point it to your Shopify store.
What is it good for?
Here are the good points about Shopify:
- It’s really easy to use. Like one of the best shopping carts in terms of ease of use – both for you and for your customers. It’s got a really modern design, it’s very well thought out, and there isn’t really much that tops it in terms of ease of use. So if you are a bit slow on computers or you don’t pick up technology so well, Shopify is definitely a good shopping cart for you.
- It’s really fast to setup. It’s a hosted solution so as soon as you sign up, your website is good to go. If you’re only selling a dozen products or so, you can literally get setup in a day and start selling the same day.
- It’s simple and good. It doesn’t have all the features under the sun, but the features it does have, it does them really well. It’s extremely popuplar software and there are rarely any bugs. Shopify is perfect for simple ecommerce businesses
- Good support. If you have trouble using Shopify, there is support on how to use the software. This solves the problem with some shopping cart systems where you are basically relying on your web developer to support it for you.
What is it bad for?
Here are some bad points about Shopify:
- It’s hard to extend. If what you want to do isn’t part of the default feature set or the apps in the app store, it is very hard to build on top of the software to extend it. If your store needs a lot of customisations, I would definitely stay away from Shopify.
- It’s not the cheapest – starting at $29/month + 2% per transaction, you can get cheaper if you are willing to do it yourself. If you would otherwise need to hire a developer to setup your store, Shopify is a cheap option again.
Shoppify is perfect for the following people:
- People that want to get setup very quickly
- People that want a very easy to use shopping cart
- People that would otherwise need to hire a web developer
- Small-medium sized online stores
For more information about Shopify, click here to visit the Shopify website.